MJC Plumbing Advice – Smartphone Water Damage
We often hear stories from our customers about smartphone water damage. I bet you’ve probably dropped your phone in the toilet as well!
It’s that ‘oopsy’ moment that we all dread isn’t it? Losing your new iPhone down the toilet is a bit of a nightmare! So, if this ever happens to you, we hope our little tips will come in useful.
Speed Is Key
You’ll need to scoop your phone out of the toilet as quickly as possible. This is the only way to limit the water damage. Every second counts! The next thing to do is turn off your phone and hold it upright.
Dry It Off!
Wipe off all the water from the exterior. This will ensure that none of the water on the surface can seep into your phone.
Don’t forget to wash your hands after! ?
iPhone owners: DON’T take your battery or SIM card out. If you do, this may breach your manufacturer’s warranty. You’ll need this just in case your phone is permanently damaged, and you need to get a new phone.
Android or Window’s owners: DO take out the battery and remove cases and plugs etc.
iPhone & Android or Window’s Owners
- Don’t turn on your phone
- Don’t tap, shake, or bang your phone
- Don’t press any keys or buttons on your phone
- Don’t heat it up with a blow dryer or pop it into the microwave
- Don’t blow into your phone – this will push the water into your phone
Okay, now that’s out the way, what’s next?
The Rice Or Silica Gel Remedy
(Rice will draw out the moisture from inside your phone)
- Put your phone and any of the removed components in a bag of dried rice or silica gel.
- Seal the bag and pop it in a nice and warm, dry area, i.e. beside a window. Make sure the window isn’t opened though, your phone might not be there when you come back! Lol.
- You may be tempted to turn your phone back on straight away, but try to resist the urge. This can ruin the internal components and cause permanent damage to your phone.
- Make sure you leave your phone in the rice for at least 24 hours, (48 hours if you can), then turn on your phone to check that it’s still working. Hopefully, this neat little trick will work.
- If your phone doesn’t turn on, you should try to charge it. The battery may be damaged if it fails to charge up. So, try popping in the replacement battery.
Watch this youtube video to see how it works. However, the only thing you shouldn’t copy is shaking your phone, as we explained previously.
Phone Repair Shop
Don’t despair if your phone still won’t work. You can always take it to the phone shop. They’ll be able to advise you on how to get a new phone under your warranty.
Even if your phone does appear to be working, it’s probably still a good idea to take it to the phone repair shop. They’ll be able to take it apart, and check that everything inside is dry. If it isn’t completely dry, over the course of time, the minerals inside the water can corrode the delicate components inside your phone. So, do go and get your phone checked out, just in case any components need to be replaced.
Did you know that most people now use their smartphone whilst sitting on the toilet? Yep, they sure do! It’s not surprising really, as most people see using the toilet as ‘dead time.’ So, reading a book, or jumping on our phone does make this activity a bit more productive I guess?
The problem with this, of course, is that it does put our phone in the middle of a pretty precarious situation…it’s way too close to the porcelain pool! Lol
You won’t be surprised to learn that a lot of phone repair companies make most of their money off the back of this. Fixing smartphones with water damage is big business!
Prevention Is Better Than Cure!
When our team is out doing our plumbing jobs, we always get to hear the old, ‘I dropped my phone in the toilet’ story. Lol. What do we tell our customers? Get a water-resistant phone! ?
We hope you find our tips helpful, and remember, keep your phone away from that porcelain pool!
Alternatively, if you know that you’re a bit accident prone, buy a phone drying pouch and have it ready and waiting for your next ‘oopsy’ moment! ?
Reliable London Based Plumbers
We’re experts in all plumbing, heating, and gas related problems and solutions. We’re fully certified and we take tremendous pride in our work. Our customers receive a professional and reliable service. So, rest assured that 100% satisfaction is guaranteed!
Call us today on 020 7064 6777.