6 Ways to Reduce Your Water Bill and Save Money
Who doesn’t like to save money, huh? 😊 Summer is here too…Yippee!
Many of us will be having a wonderful time kicking back and relaxing, and watching the kids play outside. We all need a good old dose of that vitamin D, especially after all those chilly winter months.
Of course, we’ll also be planning those fun water activities that we all love so much! However, it might be a good idea to give some thought on what you can do to save money on water, so that you can avoid getting that huge bill at the end of it all.
Here’s a few tips that you might find useful:
- Brushing those pearly whites – Of course we all need to brush our teeth but turning off the tap after you’ve wet your toothbrush will prevent you from wasting water. Did you know you can lose up to 2.5 gallons of water every minute when you leave the tap running like this?
- Take shorter showers – Showers are the third largest water use in the average home, (just behind toilets and washing machines). Maybe you could try not to spend quite so long singing in the shower in the future! You can easily use up to 5 gallons of water a minute as you’re belting out your favourite Adele tune!
- Check for leaks – this is an important one, particularly if it’s coming from your toilet. You could be wasting around 100 gallons of water per day, and it can also cause damage to your home.
You should also check for leaks in your pipes, taps, couplings and hoses.
- Washing your car – Yes, I know, it’s kind of a tradition to wash the car in the driveway, isn’t it? You should try to avoid letting the hose run though. Instead, why not soap down your car using a bucket of soapy water, and then just rinse it off? Some car washes even recycle their water…see, we can all do our little bit to save the planet! 😊
- Upgrade your toilet – Did you know that toilets use about 30% of the total water that’s used in the average UK household? Over seven million homes are using those old-style single flush toilets. Is your home one of them? If it is, you’re probably using up to 13 litres of water per flush! Staggering, isn’t it…maybe it’s time to upgrade your toilet to make it more efficient? If you need help with this, contact us today. MJC Plumbing can install a dual flush syphon, which is a perfect cost-effective solution.
- Washing machine usage – Only use your washing machine for full loads. Why? Some models use as much as 30 to 45 gallons of water per cycle. That’s loads of water for just a couple of T-shirts and socks!
If you have a leak that needs fixing, or if you need help installing a more efficient appliance or fitting, contact us today on 0207 064 6777.