Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes can kill you and your family before you are aware it is in your home!
Even low levels of exposure can cause mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue.
The best way to combat all dangers of Carbon Monoxide and protect your family is to fit a carbon monoxide alarm & get an annual check by one of our Gas Safe engineers.
You and Your Family Should Know that:
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) is known as the silent killer, around 30 people die each year from CO poisoning.
- CO poisoning can lead to lasting neurological damage.
- CO is absorbed by the blood 240 times more easily than oxygen and starves the body of oxygen.
- Children are at greater risk, the smaller the victim the more quickly the body can be overcome by the effects of CO.
- Almost 50% of people don’t know what the warning signs of CO poisoning are.
- Carbon monoxide can seep into your property via shared flues and chimneys.
- Only 32% of retired people have their gas appliances checked regularly by an MJC plumber.